You have got to know about Brian Dean the man behind Backlinko Blog.
Here's the deal
Am going to reveal the 25 All-Time Proven Backlinko Advanced SEO Techniques 2018 [That Works] to implement on your blog in 2018.
1. Revive Old Blog Posts29,869 world Alexa rank and 67 Moz DA with 40 blog posts
How is Brian doing it?
Here is the Deal
Backlinko blog saw a 324.46% increase in its post's (The Complete SEO Checklist For 2018) organic traffic,
by adding more external links to authority sites, changing the post title,
and Breaking post into section (TOC).
That's how he is doing it - Editing Old blog posts.
2. Smart Internal LinkingHere is the deal
Linking to contents (useful) on your website can increase your SEO.
How about this for an example
continuously, Brian links to other posts on his blog.
One mistake to avoid though is, using main keyword phrases to link
That takes us to Backlinko Advanced SEO Techniques 2018 3.
3. Use of MultimediaAccording to Brian Dean, in his "On-Page SEO: Anatomy of a Perfectly Optimized Page (2018 Update)"
Multimedia helps in boosting user-interaction signals,
And it increases the perceived value of your content –which means that people are more likely to link to it.
|John Muller - Webmaster Trends Analyst at Google|
Multimedia contents also reduce bounce rate while increasing time on site.
Try to include enough images and videos content to your blog post
4. Mobile OptimizationGoogle has launched its mobile-first indexing
|Credit - Search Engine Land|
Research by Search Engine Land shows that 57% of internet users are mobile (phones & tablets) users.
Hence, Google has placed a high priority on mobile SEO.
Search Engine Land suggests one needs a responsive website in other to prepare for "Mobile First Indexing"
Backlinko blog added more in "Mobile SEO: The definite guide" by suggesting the below
Mobile SEO tips for 2018
- Improve Site Speed on Mobile devices
- Use more HTML5 and fewer Iframe Videos
- Make content readable
- Go for a responsive design
Use google mobile-friendly test tool to check for mobile usability.
Up to the next Backlinko Advanced SEO Techniques 2018.
5. Quality over Quantity.According to Brian Dean, Google prefers a website with fewer quality posts over one with many poor posts
Therefore, quality over quantity.
Neil Patel thinks posts over 3000 words get more traffic
While HubSpot’s analysis of 6,192 articles found 2000+ words articles got more backlinks and social shares
Here is what serpIQ found
And here is how great it works.
Backlinko currently have 41 posts published
and he gets nothing less than 180k monthly unique visitors from Google.
how about that for smart work?
Here are two helpful guides to come up with long content
- How to Write a 2000-Word Article in 2 Hours - Neil Patel
- Blogging Traffic 101: The Evergreen Tips to Increase your Blog Traffic Permanently - Prosper Noah
6. Niche InfluenceWhen I say Backlinko, what comes to your mind?
SEO, Link building etc what else?
How about, Linda Ikeji?
News, Gossip etc right?
That's niche influence - Picking a topic and dominating it!.
Scroll down, 40 posts of Backlinko blog, all you gonna find is SEO
The good part is, he has become an influencer in SEO and Link Building.
how about this...
In summary, become an Authority in your Niche.
how to do that? - write more case studies and be a research addict.
7. Social Signal (Shares)How about getting 31,814 social shares for a start?
Here's Optinmoster's answer to the question
Does Social Media Affect SEO ranking?
and SeoCentro gives Social shares a whopping 5 star as a ranking signal
So by social signal, what do we mean?
BigCommerce has this to say
Conclusion, Social Signal plays a role in SEO
guess that's why Jide boldly displays it share count!
How to get more social shares?Neil suggests
- Use of Social media buttons
- Writing quality & in-depth contents
- Use of Click to tweets
- Optimized post titles etc.
let's talk about "In-depth content".
8. In-Depth Topic ResearchIn-Depth topic research = Quality content + high social shares + first page ranking.
Here is how it works
Writing quality contents is not all about the length,
information covered matters a lot.
Neil Patel, suggest long contents only so a publisher can cover all the points in the topic.
How then, do you cover all the point without in-depth topic research?
Consider searching for Facts, infographics, publications etc that support each point you are covering.
9. Basic On-Page SEO SettingsFilling a basket with water is a waste of time!
and here is why?
Baskets have holes and can't hold water - get a bucket instead.
Here's the gist
Fixing On-Page SEO issues such as PageSpeed, Responsiveness, User-Friendly etc
improves your site SEO rank.
Backlinko gets a page speed of
and a pass mark for mobile friendliness
That takes us to technique 9
9. PageSpeed OptimizationUser signals such as Bounce Rate has long become a part of Google's ranking factors
and here is why;
Bounce Rate is widespread to be caused by slow loading sites, especially on mobile.
Now with Google introducing Mobile first indexing, optimizing for speed is becoming even more important.
Here is BloggingPrince.com speed test result on PageSpeed Insights.
Using Pingdom Speed Test
You should also try Gtmetrix.
10. Keyword TargetingHow do you know what to write about?
let me rephrase
How do you know what will drive the most traffic?
Bet you, that's Keyword Targeting.
Baclinko's post "SEO Tools: The Complete List (2018 Update)" ranks on the number one spot for
the keyword "SEO tools"
Here's the catch!
SEO tools has Volume: 40,500/mo | CPC: $5.27 | Competition: 0.4
Quite easy for a blog with 67 DA and 60 PA to rank for!.
so what keyword should you target?
and there we go with the Backlink SEO strategy 10
11. Target Long Tail KeywordsFor a start,
What are long tail keywords?Long tail keywords are audience specific keywords which happen to contain as from 3-word phrases.
HubSpot defines something similar
Examples of Long tail keywords are
- Best SEO Strategies
- Semrush Keyword Research
- Off Page SEO
Neil says Long tail keywords are better because of 1) low competition, 2) better conversion rates
and more which you read on his 11 Reasons You Need to Focus on Long-Tail Keywords for SEO.
Let's check out a few helpful keyword research tools.
- Keywords Everywhere - A browser addon to find keywords on the go
- Related Search - Fertile land for finding long tail keyword
- Adwords - Get data such as CPC, competition and monthly search of a keyword.
- Google Search Console - Find keywords you are already ranking for.
Next SEO hack is "Using GSC Information to increase rank".
12. Google Search Console SEO HackDoes it make sense to you, to view keywords you already rank for?
why would you want to do that?
Definitely, to increase your ranking.
Heres the fact
Your targetted keyword could be "2018 SEO Strategies"
and Google will rank you on the second page for "SEO Hacks".
so, finding out such data will equip you to update such post, and sprinkle "SEO Hacks" in important areas for increased ranking...
Here is how to get that done on search console
Open search console > Search Traffic > Search Anaytics.
Tick "Impressions, CTR, and Position" for more data.
13. Fetch As Google TechniqueHere's the truth
you can rank your blog post in less than 5minutes using Fetch as Google tool.
Here is how to get it done.
Open search console > Crawl > Fetch as Google
Input your URL and render.
14. Heading OptimizationHow effective are h2,h3, and h4 on On-Page SEO?
here is what Marieke at Moz says
In summary, Proper use of heading tags can boost your site's traffic and ranking.
Best Heading Practices for Better On-page SEO
- Include the main keyword in at least 1 heading tat
- Maximum of 30 headings per post
- Practice proper heading structure (h2 important heading, h3 less important).
15. Upside down Guest Postingis guest posting still effective?
But you have got to know something crucial!.
Writing a guest post and including just an Author box, has stopped being effective
and here is why
Author boxes are hidden and readers can't go that long way down.
But here is a guest post strategy that works
The Upsidedown Gusting posting hack.
Here is what you do basically.
Instead of adding a link to the author box, you simply create helpful resources.
Add one or two resources from your blog and from other blogs.
16. Build a brandNeil Patel has got this to say
the bottom line is,
you are entitled to more ranking signal as a brand than just being a blog.
See why big brand such as CNN, Wikipedia dominate the web...
and here is how far it has taken Neil Patel
The summary is, build brand credibility online
These tips should be helpful
- Blog Weekly
- Create Videos
- Speak at conferences
find more tips on "The Future of SEO: It’s Not What You’re Expecting" by Neil Patel.
17. Post Title PowerupsPost titles are super SEO effective
and here is why
Google indexes a blog and displays it to its audience through the post title.
In other words,
A post title is a blog's number one organic traffic attraction.
Making it effective is required for all.
CoScedule Headline analyzer, suggests headline should contain emotional & power words
These powerups help make blog title effective for SEO.
18. Use of LSI KeywordsIt makes sense for Google to display a post on "social media marketing" under "Facebook marketing"
But how is this possible? - LSI keywords.
SEO Tips in 2018, recommends webmasters to sprinkle a few LSI keywords related to the main keyword inside the post.
and here is a free tool to find LSI Keywords.
Go to LSI Graph >> Input Keyword >> Solve the reCaptcha.
Above is a list of LSI keywords, do well to place them in your post.
19. CTR OptimizationClick Through rate is an important factor to consider in SEO.
Funny, we rank but don't convert.. doesn't make sense!
CTR Optimization increases page views by attracting a huge number of users to click on your link.
here is what am saying
Between the two posts above, which do you think will get most clicks?
and this is why...
When users search for a keyword, they have a question in mind.
Your ability to figure out this question (Search Intent) and answer it matters to CTR.
Which Brian did with this "Want more traffic from Google? Then you're in the right place".
The second reason is the use of TOC widget
You can see the optimized link, boldly displayed.
In summary, increased CTR = increased Traffic.
20. Link buildingSEO Hack of all time, still very important.
Link building stands firm and even Wordstream confirms it
Here are 2 worth knowing tips to get more backlinks in 2018
- Upsidedown guest posting
- Writing linkable content
21. Deleting Zombie pagesType in site:yourblogname.com (e.g site:bloggingprince.com)
and you would find numerous pages low ranked pages;
Examples of zombie pages on my blog.
but why delete zombie pages?
here is what Backlinko have to say
check out next Backlinko Advanced SEO Techniques 2018
22. Optimize for Featured SnippetHere's the plain truth
you can easily drive a high proportion of the traffic of a search query without ranking number one.
Here is what it is...
Optimization for Featured snippets.
Google, has realized featured snippets (answer box) to help users find quick answers
and you can totally take advantage of it.
Here is an example of a featured snippet (list )
here is another (paragraph).
so how do I get ranked for a featured snippet?here are the 3 best practices
- Increase your DA and PA
- Practice long tail keyword targeting
- Get into details
That's what most webmasters suggest.
But here is what I figured out.
Above photo, shows a featured snippet for "how to cook fried rice"
and here is how the actual page looks like
In summary, if you wish to get a quick featured snippet, ask a question using a heading tag (h2)
and answer using list or paragraph as the case may require.
23. Link to External SitesProve to Google your information is proof-oriented by linking to authority sites
Bottom line is
You don't only need sites linking to you, you need to link to sites too.
Here are the words of Brian dean on this
Linking to at least 4 authority websites on the topic you are working should send such signal.
24. Make your Content linkablefact is,
No one is going to link to you if you don't prove your information!
Here is Backlinko's "SEO tools: the complete list" backlinks
and this for "21 Actionable SEO Techniques"
Dean has made his content industry valuable and people are gonna link to it.
25. Optimize for Voice SearchMy mum practically prefers to say "Hello Google", than to type in keywords
bottom line is
Voice search is changing the way people search for information on the web.
a while ago, you probably have people type in keywords such as
how to make tea, where is mrbigs etc
But with Voice search, users practically input more words and also more specific,
a granny might just be saying to "Google"
hello Google, how do you make sugar-free tea at home?
Hence, more words and specific targetting.
It is therefore smart to answer questions on
Check out Backlinko's "Voice Search: The Definite Guide" for more SEO techniques.
So... What do you think?Now, it's your turn. I want to hear from you
Which of the 25 Backlinko Advanced SEO Techniques 2018 from today’s post are you going to try first?
or did I miss one of your favorite technique?
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below.