The Minister of Youths and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, on Saturday announced the temporary closure of the National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos, due to the collapse of a floodlight mast.
Dare made this known in a statement after inspecting the collapsed floodlight mast.
Dare had paid a scheduled visit to the stadium on Friday, promising to make his stand known after due assessment.
He said there was no casualty.
However, after the tour around the stadium, the minister ordered the closure of the stadium to avert any unforeseen circumstances.
Based on my assessment, advice of experts and in the interest of public safety, there will be a temporary closure of the stadium and surrounding facilities proper assessment and necessary action will be taken soon.
The concession process towards fully privatising the Surulere stadium, which began last year, will be expedited by the Federal Government through the ICRC towards a comprehensive rehabilitation and upgrade of the 51 years old edifice.
We have decided to be on the side of caution, hence the decision to impose extensive restrictions around the stadium.
We request the cooperation of anyone who this decision may inconvenience as we cannot ascertain the reality on the ground, said the minister.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!