The studio won’t want to be in a position where it’s releasing a game that definitely could have used more time in the oven, as was the case with the buggy debut of The Last of Us Part 1 on PC.
Shortly after Naughty Dog released its statement on Twitter, Bloomberg published a report citing multiple unnamed sources who said the studio is reconsidering the viability of the multiplayer project.
Many (including yours truly) expected the studio to reveal more details about its Last of Us multiplayer game, but we’ll need to wait a little longer to learn more about that title.
In a statement posted on Twitter, Naughty Dog said “we’re incredibly proud of the job our studio has done thus far, but as development has continued, we’ve realized what is best for the game is to give it more time.” As such, it now seems unlikely that we’ll hear much about the game during Summer Game Fest (where Naughty Dog offered a first peek at concept art from the project last year) on June 8th or on June 14th, which is the 10th anniversary of The Last Of Us arriving on PS3.
pic.twitter.com/DOeO8ZHSlh Naughty Dog (NaughtyDog) May 26, 2023
In a blog post in January, studio copresident and The Last of Us cocreator Neil Druckmann said the studio would “begin to offer you some details on our ambitious The Last of Us multiplayer game” sometime this year.
The report claims that the project has not been cancelled, but many of the developers working on it have been reassigned to other projects.
- Subscribe to the Engadget Deals Newsletter